Waking Sleeping Beauty
Aug. 3rd, 2010 08:57 pmWaking Sleeping Beauty
Author: Tay_21
Chapter 4: Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy, Among Others - Connor tries to cope with Abby's condition and a decision must be made.
Fandom: Primeval
Pairings: Connor/Abby, others appear as well
Rating: PG (may go up later)
Genre: hurt/comfort, angst, romance
Warnings: Canon references to character deaths, especially episode 3.03
Disclaimer: Primeval and its characters belong to Impossible Pictures. No copyright infringement is intended.
Author's Note: Thanks to fredbassett for the beta and plot help.
Summary: While on an anomaly site an innocent act goes terribly wrong and Abby is injured. Connor is faced with some impossible decisions as to how to get her help. There will be repercussions for what ever he decides because nothing is free.
Chapter 4 – Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy, Among Others
PRESENT DAY:
Abby had been in the hospital for a week before Connor had begun making preparations to bring her home. The preparations had taken another week to set up. They really had run every test. Her blood work was normal, with no detectable drugs. Her brain activity was normal. Everything was ‘normal’. But Abby wouldn’t wake up. She had been home with Connor now for the past week. He hardly slept; he barely ate. He just didn’t have the appetite.
He sat beside her bed and decided to read… out loud. He had run out of things to do to entertain himself and keep from going crazy with worry and fear. He was going to read some of his Star Wars books, or maybe a comic book to her, but just as he sat down to start, he glanced at her bedside table and saw her stack of books there. He thumbed through and settled on one with a title he recognized, Pride and Prejudice. Abby had been trying to get him to watch the movie for ages, since before they had got stuck in the past for all those months.
Why the hell not? He began reading it aloud to her. He’d never admit it, but he was soon engrossed in the story.
When he wasn’t doing his work for the ARC, he spent all his time with Abby. Mostly he read to her. At night he would curl up next to her and hold her in his arms. It was at those times, in the complete darkness of the room, that he would let himself cry. He missed her terribly.
A week later he finished the book. He felt a bit incredulous. Elizabeth and Darcy loved each other so much, but had been so stupid about it. Had Abby been trying to tell him something? Why had they wasted so much time dancing around each other? He had only had a few short months with her in their own time as his girlfriend. Only a few months of bliss as close to normal as they would ever get leading the lives they led. It wasn’t fair. She had to get better. She had to wake up.
The soft knock at the door shook him from his reverie. The nurse, a kind older black woman called May, was here for Abby’s evening session. She was one of the sweetest most genuine people Connor had ever met. She talked to Abby and treated her with dignity and respect. She was wonderful with her. He left the room so Abby could have some privacy while May attended to her needs.
Connor woke with a start at about three in the morning. He had the sudden creepy feeling that someone had been watching him. He looked first to Abby, but she was still out. He reached over and switched on the light.
A half squeak, half yelp escaped Connor out of shock and surprise.
Standing just to the right of the bedroom door was Helen Cutter.
“Helen! You’re supposed to be dead.”
“So I’ve heard”
“What are you doing here?”
“Thought you might need some help, so I’ve come to offer my services.”
Connor felt his anger starting to rise. “It’s your fault. It’s your fault she’s like this to begin with. You and your bloody clone army. What did they do to her?”
“Now, now, Connor. You need to hold on to that normally sweet disposition of yours. Try to keep that temper in check. I wouldn’t want you to say anything you’ll regret. Especially when I’m the only person that can help you. I know exactly what's wrong with Abby. No doctor from this time period can help her, but I can.”
“Why would you? What is it you want?”
“Can’t it just be out of the goodness of my heart?”
“You killed Cutter, your own husband. You don’t have a heart.”
“Did I? Huh, I wonder why I did that? I must have had a good and logically sound reason. Oh well, I’ll deal with that later. Do you want my help or not?”
Connor looked at her in disbelief. Then he really looked at her. She had longer hair than the last time he had seen her. She seemed a bit younger too, not quite as bitter and hard, though she seemed well on her way to that state.
“How old are you?” he asked. The Helen from his time should be forty six if his memory served him.
“Forty two. Why?
“Mm. Nothing, just thinking.”
“The thought that you give to your timeline makes it too linear.” She smiled at him as if she could read his thoughts. “Time doesn’t have to move in a straight line, or at all, really. You can move through it you know. It’s how I can be here and be dead all at - what you perceive to be - the same time. I know you, Connor. You’re very much like Cutter. It’s how I know that you’re going to accept my help, consequences be damned. You’ll do anything for the girl lying next to you.”
Connor turned and looked at Abby. He stroked gently down her right cheek. “OK,” he said resignedly. “I’ll accept your help. What do I need to do?”
Author: Tay_21
Chapter 4: Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy, Among Others - Connor tries to cope with Abby's condition and a decision must be made.
Fandom: Primeval
Pairings: Connor/Abby, others appear as well
Rating: PG (may go up later)
Genre: hurt/comfort, angst, romance
Warnings: Canon references to character deaths, especially episode 3.03
Disclaimer: Primeval and its characters belong to Impossible Pictures. No copyright infringement is intended.
Author's Note: Thanks to fredbassett for the beta and plot help.
Summary: While on an anomaly site an innocent act goes terribly wrong and Abby is injured. Connor is faced with some impossible decisions as to how to get her help. There will be repercussions for what ever he decides because nothing is free.
Chapter 4 – Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy, Among Others
PRESENT DAY:
Abby had been in the hospital for a week before Connor had begun making preparations to bring her home. The preparations had taken another week to set up. They really had run every test. Her blood work was normal, with no detectable drugs. Her brain activity was normal. Everything was ‘normal’. But Abby wouldn’t wake up. She had been home with Connor now for the past week. He hardly slept; he barely ate. He just didn’t have the appetite.
He sat beside her bed and decided to read… out loud. He had run out of things to do to entertain himself and keep from going crazy with worry and fear. He was going to read some of his Star Wars books, or maybe a comic book to her, but just as he sat down to start, he glanced at her bedside table and saw her stack of books there. He thumbed through and settled on one with a title he recognized, Pride and Prejudice. Abby had been trying to get him to watch the movie for ages, since before they had got stuck in the past for all those months.
Why the hell not? He began reading it aloud to her. He’d never admit it, but he was soon engrossed in the story.
When he wasn’t doing his work for the ARC, he spent all his time with Abby. Mostly he read to her. At night he would curl up next to her and hold her in his arms. It was at those times, in the complete darkness of the room, that he would let himself cry. He missed her terribly.
A week later he finished the book. He felt a bit incredulous. Elizabeth and Darcy loved each other so much, but had been so stupid about it. Had Abby been trying to tell him something? Why had they wasted so much time dancing around each other? He had only had a few short months with her in their own time as his girlfriend. Only a few months of bliss as close to normal as they would ever get leading the lives they led. It wasn’t fair. She had to get better. She had to wake up.
The soft knock at the door shook him from his reverie. The nurse, a kind older black woman called May, was here for Abby’s evening session. She was one of the sweetest most genuine people Connor had ever met. She talked to Abby and treated her with dignity and respect. She was wonderful with her. He left the room so Abby could have some privacy while May attended to her needs.
**********************************************
Connor woke with a start at about three in the morning. He had the sudden creepy feeling that someone had been watching him. He looked first to Abby, but she was still out. He reached over and switched on the light.
A half squeak, half yelp escaped Connor out of shock and surprise.
Standing just to the right of the bedroom door was Helen Cutter.
“Helen! You’re supposed to be dead.”
“So I’ve heard”
“What are you doing here?”
“Thought you might need some help, so I’ve come to offer my services.”
Connor felt his anger starting to rise. “It’s your fault. It’s your fault she’s like this to begin with. You and your bloody clone army. What did they do to her?”
“Now, now, Connor. You need to hold on to that normally sweet disposition of yours. Try to keep that temper in check. I wouldn’t want you to say anything you’ll regret. Especially when I’m the only person that can help you. I know exactly what's wrong with Abby. No doctor from this time period can help her, but I can.”
“Why would you? What is it you want?”
“Can’t it just be out of the goodness of my heart?”
“You killed Cutter, your own husband. You don’t have a heart.”
“Did I? Huh, I wonder why I did that? I must have had a good and logically sound reason. Oh well, I’ll deal with that later. Do you want my help or not?”
Connor looked at her in disbelief. Then he really looked at her. She had longer hair than the last time he had seen her. She seemed a bit younger too, not quite as bitter and hard, though she seemed well on her way to that state.
“How old are you?” he asked. The Helen from his time should be forty six if his memory served him.
“Forty two. Why?
“Mm. Nothing, just thinking.”
“The thought that you give to your timeline makes it too linear.” She smiled at him as if she could read his thoughts. “Time doesn’t have to move in a straight line, or at all, really. You can move through it you know. It’s how I can be here and be dead all at - what you perceive to be - the same time. I know you, Connor. You’re very much like Cutter. It’s how I know that you’re going to accept my help, consequences be damned. You’ll do anything for the girl lying next to you.”
Connor turned and looked at Abby. He stroked gently down her right cheek. “OK,” he said resignedly. “I’ll accept your help. What do I need to do?”
no subject
Date: 2010-08-04 04:18 am (UTC)He misses her so much :'(
and EEEK! Helen Cutter: the most crazy villain you love to hate! She's so evil, manipulating Connor like that with his own kryptonite. GRRR!
So awesome to play with the timelines here, really, I hope there's a lot more of that in the next series, time being circular/bubbly/all at once all the time in the multiverse ;)
And I laughed out loud that he became engrossed in Pride and Prejudice (for some reason I really wanna see Abby's POV inside her head, having dreams about her and Connor as Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy)
update!
no subject
Date: 2010-08-04 04:25 am (UTC)Sadly, as you'll find out in the next chapter, I don't think Abby is dreaming about Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy.
I am currently entertaining thoughts about deleted scenes involving some things from Abby's point of view. If I post them, it will be over on FF.net when I'm done here. But we'll see, yeah?
Thanks for the comments. They're always appreciated.
no subject
Date: 2010-08-04 05:15 am (UTC)eventuality of Abby POV deleted scenes is a novel idea :)
Okay I really need to get off LJ now...
no subject
Date: 2010-08-04 05:41 am (UTC)Watching Primeval right now, so I'm a little distracted. Mmmmm, Ben Mansfield and strawberries... goodnight
no subject
Date: 2010-08-04 05:58 am (UTC)*Glares* Helen!!!
Anyway, Ya for update! I love how you tied Connor and Abby's relationship to the book. It so fits!
no subject
Date: 2010-08-04 12:46 pm (UTC)I'm really glad the part with the book seems to have worked. I thought there could be some interesting parallels there.
Thanks for the comment.
no subject
Date: 2010-08-04 05:00 pm (UTC)I must say I've found this story very intriguing so far. I can't wait for the next chapter!
no subject
Date: 2010-08-04 08:46 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2010-08-04 06:36 pm (UTC)More soon please *g*
no subject
Date: 2010-08-04 08:49 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2010-08-04 08:55 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2010-08-04 09:20 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2010-08-04 09:25 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2010-08-04 09:37 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2010-08-04 09:39 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2010-08-04 08:02 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2010-08-04 08:50 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2010-08-04 09:56 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2010-08-04 10:10 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2010-08-05 05:04 am (UTC)My heart really ached for him, having her there but *not* there.
no subject
Date: 2010-08-05 05:31 am (UTC)This was a gloomy chapter to write that doesn't exactly have a hopeful cliffhanger, just more tension. What with Helen's ugly mug showing up and further manipulating Connor's pore psyche. Poor things. At least he, hopefully, knows enough not to trust her as far as he can throw her.
Did you get any inspirations for your muse yet?
no subject
Date: 2010-08-05 05:40 am (UTC)My muse returned, yes. I actually got the bunny from and episode of Star Trek The Next Generation, but it's an angsty bunny, also a smutty bunny, lol.
no subject
Date: 2010-08-05 05:58 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2010-08-05 08:00 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2010-08-05 10:17 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2010-08-05 04:04 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2010-08-12 03:46 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2010-08-12 05:47 pm (UTC)